11 Products That Will Help You Save on Energy Bills by Dagne Goodwin
Being Frugal is not about just not spending money but also about spending money wisely. Anyone that knows me will tell you I really am a very frugal person. I will HAVE money and look at a product in the store and not buy it because of the price point! It is just the way I am wired now. I absolutely will spend money on products that I think will help me to save in the long run, though. I have used many of these products so have no problem in recommending them to you. I am not suggesting that you purchase all of this but that maybe one or two of these things will help you to save money in the long run.
Disclosure: I am an Amazon affiliate, this post contains sponsored links from Amazon.
1. Solar Outdoor Lighting The Department of Energy at Energy.gov suggests using Outdoor Solar Lighting. “Outdoor solar lights use solar cells, which convert sunlight into electricity, and are easy to install and virtually maintenance free”. Robust Solar 80 LED Outdoor Solar Motion Light, Digitally Adjustable Time & LUX, 2-axis Adjustable Motion Sensor with Lithium Battery I prefer having motion lights so that lights are not on when we are away which lets people know we are not at home! The price point for this one is pretty reasonable as well.
2. Solar Christmas Lights We did not hang Christmas Lights because we have ONE plug outside which is all the way around the back of the house. The price has really come down on these solar products too. I checked out a similar set just a few years ago and thought these were pretty pricey. This 72 Foot String is only 17.89. I didn’t think that bad at all! Solar LED String Lights Outdoor, Warm White Christmas Lights, 200 LEDS 8 Modes 72ft with Dusk to Down Sensor for Xmas tree Wedding Party Holiday Decorations
3. Dryer Balls There are all sorts of options here but I like the natural wool dryer balls personally. They are reusable, reduce wrinkles, free of chemicals and reduce drying time by 25%. “They work by lifting and separating your clothes, increasing the circulation of heat and air through the wet items.”
4. Dryer Rack. Are you trying to reduce your electricity costs? The dryer takes an awful lot of energy and you can reduce costs by regularly drying your clothes on a rack. We have a back deck where we can set this in the midday sun and the clothes are dry in no time at all. It folds up for easy storage too! Whitmor Folding Clothes Drying Rack, Chrome, Rust-Proof Guarantee, Premium Quality
5. Retractable Clothes Line My laundry room is about the size of a postage stamp. Now, don’t get me wrong I am very happy to have one (going to a laundromat is for the birds and very expensive). I just wish mine was bigger so that I could include one of these retractable clothes lines. Winter lasts for a LONG time here in NH so drying clothes outside is not generally practical except for a few months a year.
6. Programmable Thermostat. We have a couple of these! We have three zones for heating in our house and we have a programmable thermostat on all but one. Our bedroom we keep at 65 degrees at all times and rarely change it so we didn’t buy one for that room. This particular model lets you set a different schedule for each day of the week which is excellent for people not working a normal 9-5 schedule. There is a DIY install wizard included as well so that you can get this installed and using it right away. Emerson UP310 Premium 7 Day Programmable Universal Thermostat
7. Motion Sensor Light Switch. Do you have kids or friends that continually leave the light on? Our upstairs hall lights, the bathroom, and kitchen lights were ALL left on all the time. It drove my husband up a wall!TOPGREENER TSOS5-W In Wall PIR Motion Sensor Light Switch, Single-Pole, Fluorescent 500VA/ Motor 1/8Hp / Incandescent 500W NEUTRAL WIRE REQUIRED, White
8. LED Lightbulbs. We are judicious in purchasing these light bulbs and use them in the lights we use the most, the overhead light in the kitchen, bathrooms, and the lamps in the living room. The cost to purchase these is high so you want to get the most for your money right? I suggest using these in the light fixtures that you use the most first. Purchase some at a time and slowly switch over instead of replacing every bulb in your house. The more a bulb is used the more LED’s make sense so do some careful planning to see the most cost savings here.LED Bulbs Pack of 6 – A19 E27 7w Brightest 60W Soft White 3000k Light Bulb (Package May Vary)
9. Efficient Space Heater It doesn’t make much sense to heat a whole apartment or house when you spend most of your time in one room. We will keep the heat down in most of the house and use a space heater to warm where we are sitting. We usually do this in between seasons, so it’s not quite cold enough to have the wood fire going but in the evenings we still need a little something to take the chill off. Space heaters can be dangerous so you must be very careful with small children and animals, we have neither. We only use the heater while we are actually in the room so it is being watched at all times and we are careful to be sure that it is off AND unplugged when not in use.
10. Fireplace Chimney Draft Stopper Plug. If you have ever been in a room where the fireplace has not been stopped up then you know the amount of cold air that can come in through that opening. We have a fireplace in our bedroom that we very rarely use and this is a must have in there or it will be freezing. There are different sizes and shapes of these so be sure you pick the right one for your situation. Fireplace chimney draftstopper plug (round) – fits most metal, zero-clearance fireplaces.
11. Insulating Curtains. In the north, we are always trying to block the cold but these are great even if you are trying to block the heat as well. Leaving these insulated curtains closed during a hot day will significantly reduce how hot it will be in your house when you get home! They give an added plus of blocking out the sunlight so if you like your room dark when you sleep these will work great for that.FlamingoP Window Treatment Thermal Insulated Solid Grommet Blackout Curtains / Drapes for Bedroom, Set of one Panels, 84 by 52 Inch, Dove Gray